Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » whatever » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page whatever 4 Votes - Average Rating: 3.254 Votes - Average Rating: 3.254 Votes - Average Rating: 3.25
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 07-27-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Supposedly, this newer version of the board is faster than the old one we were using - even for dialup.

Dialup vs. cable vs. DSL is all irrelevant to the web server hosting the board and the software on the web server that provides the board functionality. To the web server it's just a stream of TCP/IP packets arriving on port 80, it doesn't care if the source of those packets is a browser running on a PC or whatever connected via dial up (PPP or SLIP protocols) or
broadband. But that's probably not what you meant. nada ambigous english language!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ToryNotion: 08-20-2003 09:57.

08-20-2003 09:54 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

At hme last night I think it was a bit faster - of course downloading all the signitures doesn't help

Tongue Smile Tongue

08-20-2003 16:14 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Pedantic
At hme last night I think it was a bit faster - of course downloading all the signitures doesn't help

Tongue Smile Tongue

If your browser options are set so that it caches frequently accessed objects (like the image files in the signature blocks) and you have a lot of disk space reserved for caching, the images shouldn't make much of a difference. It will determine it allready has a copy of the image in the cache on your hard disk and not download it. If you have caching turned off, then all the images could slow down page loading.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ToryNotion: 08-20-2003 16:22.

08-20-2003 16:22 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
On the really old, old board, all the postings would just disaper after awhile. I like that, I say any thread that has not been posted on for 10 days should be wiped out! Evil

exactly! what kind of sick person digs up threads that haven't been posted on for months???

Roll Eyes

08-20-2003 16:22 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Official Impasto

Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

quote:
Originally posted by ToryNotion
If your browser options are set so that it caches frequently accessed objects (like the image files in the signature blocks) and you have a lot of disk space reserved for caching, the images shouldn't make much of a difference.

I do have the cache on - so it's not a huge problem....

You sound like a very internet savy guy (see Opera thread)- mis-spent youth or do you work in the industry somehow?

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Captain Pedantic: 08-20-2003 16:26.

08-20-2003 16:26 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
quote:
If your browser options are set so that it caches frequently accessed objects (like the image files in the signature blocks) and you have a lot of disk space reserved for caching, the images shouldn't make much of a difference.

I do have the cache on - so it's not a huge problem....

You sound like a very internet savy guy (see Opera thread)- mis-spent youth or do you work in the industry somehow?

I'm a middle-aged 'mputer professional. Currently doing web application development. I first encountered the WWW back in '93 or so, when Mosiac (sp?) was the browser of choice.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ToryNotion: 08-20-2003 16:32.

08-20-2003 16:31 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
On the really old, old board, all the postings would just disaper after awhile. I like that, I say any thread that has not been posted on for 10 days should be wiped out! Evil

exactly! what kind of sick person digs up threads that haven't been posted on for months???

Roll Eyes

exactly! Wink

08-20-2003 16:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

nice sig, doc.... Roll Eyes

Cool
08-20-2003 16:39 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Official Impasto

quote:

I'm a middle-aged 'mputer professional. Currently doing web application development. I first encountered the WWW back in '93 or so, when Mosiac (sp?) was the browser of choice.

I encountered the web first in '95 with Compuserve and Mosiac too.

I think my first major web search was for Daniel Amos in 1996 - found Kevin Shaffers web page http://www.danielamos.net - found out about the DADL and my life hasn't been the same since....

08-20-2003 16:47 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
quote:

I encountered the web first in '95 with Compuserve and Mosiac too.

I think my first major web search was for Daniel Amos in 1996 - found Kevin Shaffers web page http://www.danielamos.net - found out about the DADL and my life hasn't been the same since....

I had been working at Ft. Lee Va outside of Petersburg since '82 and I had the good fortune to wind up on a project developing a system for the Army to do convoy planning in '92 or so. It ran on a 486 PC running SCO Unix. We were assisted by some really bright young programmers at the US Corps of Engineers Waterway's Experiment Station in Vicksburg, MS. They supplied the mapping software no-how and we the MIS application/data base programming expertise. They introduced me to the web and Mosiac, etc. That was when yahoo had just started and only had a few hundred sites or so classified. The system was enventually replaced by a Marine system that couldn't do half the things ours could. I first heard DA in the late 70's. Interested waned until the early 90's, waned again, and came back strong a few months ago.

08-20-2003 17:08 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

whatever...... Red Face

08-20-2003 17:09 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

quote:
I first encountered the WWW back in '93 or so, when Mosiac (sp?) was the browser of choice.

I remember those days...Crying

the days of local BBSs and online UNIX text-based chat...Crying

back when the internet was young and semi-innocent... Roll Eyes

08-20-2003 17:19 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Supposedly, this newer version of the board is faster than the old one we were using - even for dialup.

Dialup vs. cable vs. DSL is all irrelevant to the web server hosting the board and the software on the web server that provides the board functionality. To the web server it's just a stream of TCP/IP packets arriving on port 80, it doesn't care if the source of those packets is a browser running on a PC or whatever connected via dial up (PPP or SLIP protocols) or
broadband. But that's probably not what you meant. nada ambigous english language!

whatever......

Tongue

08-20-2003 18:15 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Now how does this ignore list thing work...

08-21-2003 08:23 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I was thinking the same thing myself! Baby Roll Eyes

08-21-2003 08:28 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Now how does this ignore list thing work...

it doesn't.... Evil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 08-21-2003 11:48.

08-21-2003 11:46 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » whatever

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH