Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Doppelganger on the front page at HM Magazine website now » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Doppelganger on the front page at HM Magazine website now
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Doppelganger on the front page at HM Magazine website now Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Doppelganger is on the front page of the HM Magazine website now. It is a review of the album.

www.hmmagazine.com

Here is the review:

Doppelganger by Daniel Amos

Moving into the age of leisure
Where east meets west in a maze of pleasure
And why do we feel we can live forever?
Cos' they've piped in music of religious nature...

How come you're sad, how come you cry
When golden arches 'cross your sky?
They're reminders of sweet bye and bye
This could be heaven when we die...

from Mall All Over the World written by Terry Taylor

The second installment in Terry Taylor's ambitious 4 album concept/story The Alarma Chronicles is also my favorite. It used to be volume one, Alarma, but as the years go by I find myself going back to Doppelganger more than the others. Released in 1983, this record was very much ahead of it's time. As cutting edge as anything out at that time and drawing from influences as varied as Cheap Trick and the Talking Heads to The Cars and XTC. This album is alternative music influenced heavily by new wave and power pop, yet it's amazingly fresh and original. There's nothing quite like it.

Terry Taylor is one of the best lyricists out there, so when I tell you that Doppelganger contains his best work lyrically, don't take it lightly. The verses quoted above from Mall All Over the World have stuck in my skull and I'm constantly thinking of them. This is good stuff. It's a poke at the evangelical Christian sub-culture. It's a look into the failings of the western Church in it's attempt to create it's own little world where everything gets labeled "Christian." This theme is carried on throughout the album and it really makes you think. Lyrics that challenge you and make you think. What a concept!

If you've never heard this record, do yourself a favor and get it now. Many critics list it in their top ten of all time. For credits, lyrics and more information on this record go to: www.danielamos.com

Tony Shore

©2005 HM Magazine - All Rights Reserved

06-27-2005 19:41 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cool

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
06-28-2005 00:22 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Kudos for Tony Shore getting published and spreading the Word of Da! Pleased

06-28-2005 06:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like the reviewer. Until MBD, Doppelganger was my favorite album of all time. Now it's no. 2.

Thanks for letting us know about this!
06-28-2005 07:13 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Down! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I left my comment Mad on this review...

06-28-2005 13:55 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

nevermind... Cool

Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by joey: 06-28-2005 14:15.

06-28-2005 14:09 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
I left my comment Mad on this review...

Shocked

06-28-2005 15:29 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Doppelganger on the front page at HM Magazine website now

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH