Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » liner notes » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page liner notes
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jollyholiday
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

liner notes Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Has any consideration ever been given to a page on this site with song by song liner notes for all TST,DA,SE, material? Perhaps there is already something available elsewhere on the web, does anyone know?
08-29-2002 09:28 jollyholiday is offline Send an Email to jollyholiday Search for Posts by jollyholiday Add jollyholiday to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There is a site that tells the literary refrences,
I think we have it in the links.

We could possibly work on this, I am sure Terry doesn't have time. But it would be a huge task as there is soooo many songs.

the townsends

Or, you guys could start a thread where every post is on
a specific song... the subject for each post being the
songs Title.. and then quote all the refrences you can
come up with concerning that song.. and/or possible interpritations. I would be interested in that.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-29-2002 11:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
and/or possible interpritations. I would be interested in that.

That should be interpretations.... Big Grin
08-29-2002 11:45 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Administrator

Ahhhh yeah I am tired... I even had to retype another post
because I hit preview and then hit back on my browser
to change it.... oops blank page.. to match the one in
my head eh?

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-29-2002 12:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Or, you guys could start a thread where every post is on a specific song... the subject for each post being the songs Title.. and then quote all the refrences you can
come up with concerning that song.. and/or possible interpretations. I would be interested in that.

ditto!
Big Grin
08-29-2002 12:31 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Administrator

The Hollow Men - Doppelganger Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Taken as a paraphrase of the TS Elliot poem: The Hollow Man

http://www.deathclock.com/thunder/works.html

------------------------------------------------------------

The Hollow Man- T.S. Elliot
Mistah Kurtz--- he dead.
A penny for the Old Guy.

I
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voice, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rat's feet over broken glass
In Our dry cellar
Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralyzed force, gesture without motion;
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us--if at all--not as lost
Violent souls, but only
The stuffed men.

II
Eyes I dare not meet in dreams
In death's dream kingdom
These do not appear
There, the eyes are
Sunlight on a broken column
There, is a tree swinging
And voices are
In the wind's singing
More distant and more solemn
Than a fading star.
Let me be no nearer
In death's dream kingdom
Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves
In a field
Behaving as the wind behaves
No nearer--
Not that final meeting
In the twilight kingdom

III
This is the dead land
This is the cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man's hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.
Is it like this
In death's other kingdom
Waking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone

IV
The eyes are not here
There are no eyes here
In this valley of dying stars
In this hollow valley
This broken jar of our lost kingdoms
In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Gathered on this beach of the tumid river
Sightless, unless
The eyes reappear
As the perpetual star
Multifoliate rose
Of death's twilight kingdom
The hope only
Of empty men.

V
Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning
Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the shadow
For Thine is the kingdom
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the shadow
Life is very long
Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
For thine is the Kingdom
For Thine is
Life is
For thine is the
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

08-29-2002 13:10 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:

Gamgee the English Professor
Big Grin

08-29-2002 15:44 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:

Gamgee the English Professor
Big Grin

No, no, no... Gamgee the English major (almost as bad)...
08-29-2002 17:36 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

That's what I originally typed then I changed it to Professor to give you more clout.

08-29-2002 17:45 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Is English really your major, and if so, have you taken any foreign languages?

08-29-2002 17:45 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Hey - I'm an English major too. I took two years of German and a year of French in high school, a semester of French and a semester of Greek in college. Now I'm going to have to take two semesters of Spanish to get my CLAD certification for teaching. I also dated a couple foreign exchange students, but I don't know if that counts.

08-29-2002 17:51 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Is English really your major, and if so, have you taken any foreign languages?

I took some Spanish about a year ago... hated the class... I don't like foreign languages... as Calvin once said, "Everyone should speak English, or shut up!" And yes, English is really my major (creative writing, to be more specific).
08-29-2002 17:57 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

I was just curious. For my undergraduate degree I double majored: Psychology and Latin. Many English words are derived from Latin. Anyway, so I understand the grammar thing. That's why it is not fun to have typos.

08-29-2002 18:00 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

It's fun for me when you have typos...
08-29-2002 18:04 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Yes, I've had too many.

08-29-2002 18:05 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

I've had a lot of fun...
08-29-2002 18:07 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

At my expense

08-29-2002 18:08 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

That's what makes it so fun...
08-29-2002 18:08 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Yuo typed in exactly what I didn't say...
08-29-2002 18:27 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

You guys just trashed this whole thread!Mad

Audiori went through all that trouble to post that TS Elliot poem and you guys don't even care.

Let's try and keep some of this on topic...Smile

BD

(not that I've never done this before, but sometimes it gets in the way of a really good thread.) Wink

08-29-2002 18:32 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » liner notes

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH