Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Everybody Must Get Stonehilled, Part II » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Everybody Must Get Stonehilled, Part II
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Randy Stonehill can't write a bad song? Have you ever tried to listen to Can't Buy a Miracle? I tried to listen to this album several times and finally threw it away.

I don't understand why some of his stuff isn't always available, like Equator, Wonderama.

Randy is hit or extreme miss and too frequently overwrought with emotion. He hit a grand slam though on the Brian Wilson tribute. It should be a lesson. Randy + Terry = Randy at his best.
10-10-2002 11:48 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
brdhsnyrsoul brdhsnyrsoul is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-20-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

and you can never have too many versions of shut de do'

10-10-2002 12:16 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden
Randy Stonehill can't write a bad song? Have you ever tried to listen to Can't Buy a Miracle? I tried to listen to this album several times and finally threw it away.

I don't understand why some of his stuff isn't always available, like Equator, Wonderama.

Randy is hit or extreme miss and too frequently overwrought with emotion. He hit a grand slam though on the Brian Wilson tribute. It should be a lesson. Randy + Terry = Randy at his best.

I have Equator on vinyl. That one should be available on cd, but most of his songs are forgetable on his later stuff..... Frown

10-10-2002 12:45 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ceremonial Kernel

I like "Return to Paradise" too. Good songwriting on that one. Equator will probably always be the one he's remembered for - Shut de do' and American Fastfood. Pretty cool!!

10-10-2002 13:04 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I like Can't Buy A Miracle, and really pretty much everything Randy's done. I think some of the albums
are not on CD simply because the company that owns them
doesn't think there is enough interest.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-10-2002 13:09 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Durden

"Can't Buy a Miracle" has the following excellent classic songs:
"Coming Back Soon", "Beyond the Veil", "Can't Buy a Miracle", "Looking For a Brighter Day", "It's Now", and "How the Mighty Have Fallen".

That's why it certainly can't be written off as a piece of junk.

The project does suffer from the following:
-Its way too short, only 28 minutes or so.
-The engineer, or the sound mixer guy, or the producer, or whoever is responsible, left the organ too loud, it should have been coloring the backgraound, but instead it was too much in the forefront on the title track, and on "Brighter Day", and "Don't Break Down". It just could have been recorded better, or something.
-I have too admit "Awfully Loud World" and "Cold Rock the Groove" don't exactly represent his best quality of work, and seem way too an overt an attempt to appeal to the young, and a very lame attempt at that.
- it seems like overall the project was rushed or something, when all is said and done.

But still, the songs I mentioned at the top, I think are very good quality; and when you think about it, every Randy album has at least two or three strong classics on them.
Jim
10-10-2002 14:11
Jim Muglia
unregistered

Maybe when we really think about it, the 90s was his most strongest and consistent period:

-Wonderama
-Stories (i.e. the 2 new songs backed by the Lost Dogs, which are both very good)
-Lazarus Heart
-Thirst

I think all the albums have had great critical acclaim, and I believe "Wonderama" is Randy's personal favorite, which was produced by Taylor by the way.

The songs "Troubles", "Lazarus Heart", and "Every Heartbeat is a pryaer" would have all been top 10 smashes on the Christian charts, like many other songs on these albums, if the record companies would have had the brains and/or money.

Randy songs in the 90s that made it to the top 10:
In Jesus' Name (#1, I believe)
Promise made is a Promise Kept (#5, I believe)
I Turn to You (made it to #1)
Hand of God (made it to #1)
Father of Lights (#8 or so, I believe)

If this guy was marketed right, he'd get the respect he deserves. I know he was never too happy with Word/Myrrh; they always seemed to treat him like a distant cousin, so I'm told by inside sources.

And I believe that it was unfortunate financial issues for the later record companies (i.e. for Lazarus Heart and Thirst), why some of his good stuff couldn't be promoted on those later albums.

Jim
10-10-2002 14:22
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Muglia
Maybe when we really think about it, the 90s was his most strongest and consistent period:

-Wonderama
-Stories (i.e. the 2 new songs backed by the Lost Dogs, which are both very good)
-Lazarus Heart
-Thirst

I think all the albums have had great critical acclaim, and I believe "Wonderama" is Randy's personal favorite, which was produced by Taylor by the way.

The songs "Troubles", "Lazarus Heart", and "Every Heartbeat is a pryaer" would have all been top 10 smashes on the Christian charts, like many other songs on these albums, if the record companies would have had the brains and/or money.

Randy songs in the 90s that made it to the top 10:
In Jesus' Name (#1, I believe)
Promise made is a Promise Kept (#5, I believe)
I Turn to You (made it to #1)
Hand of God (made it to #1)
Father of Lights (#8 or so, I believe)

If this guy was marketed right, he'd get the respect he deserves. I know he was never too happy with Word/Myrrh; they always seemed to treat him like a distant cousin, so I'm told by inside sources.

And Ibelieve that it was unfortunate financial issue sfor the record companies, why some of his good stuff couldn't be promoted on the later albums.

Jim
10-10-2002 14:23
Ceremonial Kernel

I'm up for another Amos n Randy tour. I don't know about the rest of yous, but I like 'em both....

10-10-2002 15:25 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

quote:
Originally posted by brdhsnyrsoul
I'm up for another Amos n Randy tour. I don't know about the rest of yous, but I like 'em both....

Only if Randy was the opening act.... Wink

10-10-2002 15:27 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Ceremonial Kernel

shoot - let 'em play together.....a combination act. Terry and Randy doing vocals. I'd like it.

10-10-2002 15:28 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
servantsteve servantsteve is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-640.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2002

Dude, you stopped at 2,499!!!!!!!!!!!

10-10-2002 16:05 servantsteve is offline Homepage of servantsteve Search for Posts by servantsteve Add servantsteve to your Buddy List Add servantsteve to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of servantsteve: no YIM Account Name of servantsteve: yes
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:

Ouch! Frown

10-10-2002 16:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:

I have a really bad sounding bootleg Pleased

10-10-2002 16:16 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

Ouch! Frown

My point exactly

10-10-2002 16:49 brdhsnyrsoul is offline Send an Email to brdhsnyrsoul Search for Posts by brdhsnyrsoul Add brdhsnyrsoul to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

Ouch! Frown

My point exactly

I am in pain just thinking about it! Frown

10-10-2002 16:51 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Jim Muglia
unregistered

What's up with this:

"Available to ship on or about 11/14/02", regarding "Edge of the World".

When I ordered it, the ad said that it would be availble to ship on 10/22/2002.

Oooh, I'mad, I'm so vedy vedy maad indeedie!!! Ain't life a sum-of-a-bear sometimes? Sheesh.

Randy's like the Rodney Dangerfield of Christian music. He gets no darn ree-spect at all.
Jim

PS My favorite Rodney joke: "I bought my kid a bb gun for his birthday. Then he bought me a shirt with a bullseye on the back". ba-da-bing!!!
10-28-2002 21:20
EdHead EdHead is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 10-21-2002

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I think some of the albums are not on CD simply because the company that owns them doesn't think there is enough interest.

I say we all get a vote going then for, (what I feel was Uncle Randy at his best), the CD release of "Between the Glory and the Flame"!

I've never had the chance to hear "Equator", but it must rank up there too...

Check this link out if you want some real good info on each of his albums. I found it one day and permanently "burned" the bookmark into my browser...Tongue

http://www.nifty-music.com/stonehill/albums.html

10-29-2002 04:19 EdHead is offline Homepage of EdHead Search for Posts by EdHead Add EdHead to your Buddy List Add EdHead to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of EdHead: messayoussa YIM Account Name of EdHead: yahooyolo View the MSN Profile for EdHead
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

i think Equator is near the top with WtoP, Wonderama, and the M Heard produced gem
10-30-2002 00:23 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Jim Muglia
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
i think Equator is near the top

No no no no no. Equator is at the middle. Its a big fat circle that goes all the way around the perimenter of the earth and cuts through South America and anything else that gets in its east and west path.

Sheesh, now we're going to debate about geography. Wink
Jim
10-30-2002 08:33
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Everybody Must Get Stonehilled, Part II

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH