Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry's musical influences » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry's musical influences 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jeffsumm
unregistered
Terry's musical influences Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know Terry would list Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys as an influence. Listening to Horrendous Disc, I would have to add Queen as an influence as well, plus it seems like Pink Floyd had to be an influence as well. All of these would apply to DA's 80's albums. Anybody else have any influences on DA they've picked up, or heard any others that Terry has mentioned?
09-17-2003 12:03
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Many. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've heard him mostly refer to older rock artists (including the obvious, e.g. the Beatles, Elvis, etc.). But then there's all those artists whom influence a person just because you really like them (the one hitters and all included). I know Terry has a deep appreciation for Crowded House (for example).
09-17-2003 12:06 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Really? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theo
I know Terry has a deep appreciation for Crowded House (for example).

I didn't know that one, although it makes a WHOOOOLE lot of sense.

A few more logs for the fire:

Talking Heads (Alarma -- that one's publically acknowledged by Terry)

Bowie -- (Doppelganger -- likewise)

Simple Minds (Vox Humana -- not mentioned, but "Sanctuary" et al. reeks of it -- in a good way.... Big Grin )

XTC -- (Darn Floor, especially lyrically, and very very musically in Motorcycle)

Psychedelic Furs -- Knowledge & Innocence (others have noted "Heaven" in "Light Princess," in particular)

Hmmmm.... guess he must've stopped ripping bands off after that..... Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 09-17-2003 14:05.

09-17-2003 12:12 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

RE: Many. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
I know Terry has a deep appreciation for Crowded House (for example).

Really? Confused

09-17-2003 14:03 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Elvis Costello comes up in the reviews all the time. I can see it...

09-17-2003 14:09 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

RE: Terry's musical influences Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jeffsumm
I know Terry would list Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys as an influence. Listening to Horrendous Disc, I would have to add Queen as an influence as well, plus it seems like Pink Floyd had to be an influence as well. All of these would apply to DA's 80's albums. Anybody else have any influences on DA they've picked up, or heard any others that Terry has mentioned?

I hear ELO more than Queen on HD.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-17-2003 14:33 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Good point.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
quote:

Which reminds us of a long-forgotten but nonetheless critical piece of the puzzle....

IT'S ROY $&#%$ WOOD!!!
THE ORIGINAL ZOOM DADDY!!!

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 09-17-2003 14:50.

09-17-2003 14:42 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

consider yourself cyberslapped!!

09-17-2003 14:46 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

I'd be curious to know what "country" influences Terry has- because he definitely enjoys that flavor right from the start .

Other than the Eagles (unfair , I thought- I'd go more with Poco)
I'd think the Man in Black fer the storytellin
as well as Bob Wills and that swingin country (Oh My- You'll fry) thing-

would someone please just ask the man?

09-17-2003 14:49 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
bret bret is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 08-08-2003

I would throw in "The Flying Burrito Bro's" in that too.

Stylin' in my buddy's '34 Ford Roadster
09-17-2003 15:03 bret is offline Send an Email to bret Homepage of bret Search for Posts by bret Add bret to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bret: forty dlux
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Obviously, he's been influenced by the Tuxedo Clad Megastar for all those religious lyrics. Red Face

I can't believe I said that with a straight face!

09-17-2003 15:07 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
bret bret is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 08-08-2003

Yes, I agree...Obviously Carman...that's the ticket!

Stylin' in my buddy's '34 Ford Roadster
09-17-2003 15:08 bret is offline Send an Email to bret Homepage of bret Search for Posts by bret Add bret to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of bret: forty dlux
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: Terry's musical influences Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
quote:

Mike Stone produced some Queen... maybe there is a connection there? Confused

09-17-2003 15:22 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I remember The Loving Spoonfuls being mentioned once.

09-17-2003 17:40 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
I remember The Loving Spoonfuls being mentioned once.

Yeah, that's on the interview on thr third _When Everyone Wore Hats_ disc. I believe that Terry invokes their album _Great Hums of the Loving Spoonful_ as the inspiration for the eclectic instrumentation for SOTH. I'm still tryin' to find that Lovin album. I guess I'll have to resort to Amazon.
09-18-2003 08:26 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

I don't know Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

that this band is so much an "influence" as just a band that both JT and Terry REALLY admire: Wilco.
09-18-2003 10:48 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

don't forget:

morris albert
nancy sinatra
nick delechi
presty gomez
albert hammond
dolly parton
ruth buzzi
charlie pride
the de franco family

09-18-2003 11:35 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 08-28-2002

RE: I don't know Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love Wilco. I think they are great. Do you know if Terry and JT like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt as well?

quote:
that this band is so much an "influence" as just a band that both JT and Terry REALLY admire: Wilco.

gone, gone with God, but gone
09-18-2003 14:14 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

RE: I don't know Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

I LOVE wilco.... it's nice to know Terry does too.

09-18-2003 16:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Hmmmm Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Haven't heard him mention those others. Funny. JT was like: "Theo! You've never heard of Wilco. They're like my all time favorite! Don't think! Don't pause! Just run out and by the DVD movie of theirs."

So I did. Sorry. Couldn't get into it--so I gave it away.

I'm so shallow! Roll Eyes
09-18-2003 16:45 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry's musical influences

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH