Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry's musical influences » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Terry's musical influences 3 Votes - Average Rating: 7.003 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i like Wilco, but that video bored me.
09-18-2003 17:01 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 08-28-2002

RE: Hmmmm Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theo
Haven't heard him mention those others. Funny. JT was like: "Theo! You've never heard of Wilco. They're like my all time favorite! Don't think! Don't pause! Just run out and by the DVD movie of theirs."

So I did. Sorry. Couldn't get into it--so I gave it away.

I'm so shallow! Roll Eyes

You should try Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco they are great.

A little Wilco History. (If your from the St. Louis area you should know this Wink )
Uncle Tupelo is a band that most members of Wilco were in during the early 90s. Uncle Tupelo is Alt. country. The two leads, Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy (the lennon/mccartney of Uncle Tupelo) went their separate ways and formed different bands. Jeff formed Wilco and Jay formed Son Volt. So if you like Wilco you may like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Both Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo are very country sounding. Trace by Son Volt is one of my all time favorite cds.

gone, gone with God, but gone

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by rob 3.0: 09-19-2003 01:32.

09-19-2003 01:31 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool RE: Hmmmm Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Haven't heard him mention those others. Funny. JT was like: "Theo! You've never heard of Wilco. They're like my all time favorite! Don't think! Don't pause! Just run out and by the DVD movie of theirs."

So I did. Sorry. Couldn't get into it--so I gave it away.

I'm so shallow! Roll Eyes

Ignore that man..... Theo, you are MY hero.... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0
You should try Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco they are great..

Tried Summerteeth & YHF. Both bored me to tears. Loved the first Mermaid Avenue CD, though (although I've come to the conclusion that it was a unique case of the whole being WAY more than the sum of its parts (i.e., Wilco & Billy Bragg, who's had his moments over the last 25 years but never for an entire album as far as I know)....

quote:
A little Wilco History. (If your from the St. Louis area you should know this Wink )
Uncle Tupelo is a band that most members of Wilco were in during the early 90s. Uncle Tupelo is Alt. country. The two leads, Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy (the lennon/mccartney of Uncle Tupelo) went their separate ways and formed different bands. Jeff formed Wilco and Jay formed Son Volt. So if you like Wilco you may like Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Both Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo are very country sounding. Trace by Son Volt is one of my all time favorite cds.

That's the weird thing. Son Volt intrigues the hell out of me -- haven't picked up a CD yet, but every time I hear Son Volt or Farrar solo my ears perk up big-time. Thus, I keep an eye/ear out for Uncle Tupelo as well. But if it's mostly Wilco I'll pass..... Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-19-2003 07:37 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
i like Wilco, but that video bored me.

I like videos- but Wilco bores me.

(no actually - I have something by them- i listened too a while back- will have to dig it up..again.
Does that say aything about what I think of them at this point?

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
09-19-2003 07:41 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

Carl,

I do really like Wilco, but I can't stop listening to Son Volt. Trace is just an amazing album its been in my play list for about 8 months now.

Uncle Tupelo is more like Son Volt than Wilco. A good introduction to Uncle Tupelo would be 89/93: An Anthology. They are alt country kind of VoL sounding.

Jay Farrar has a new solo record out that I really want to get.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by rob 3.0: 09-19-2003 13:38.

09-19-2003 13:35 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That whets my appetite even further, and reaffirms my interest in Uncle Tupelo as well.... thanks rob....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
09-19-2003 13:54 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Luteous Llama

Your welcome carl. Let me know what you think of them if you pick up any of thier cds.

09-19-2003 15:04 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

RE: Hmmmm Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

Great words to live by! Cool

09-19-2003 15:18 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

For me, I started out just sort of liking one song by Wilco.
Then I bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and I didn't really like
all the songs at first but as I would go back to listen to that
one song the others grew on me.
It took several plays, but eventually I started listening to a few more
songs until finally I like the whole album.
When we bought the DVD we already liked that album so the DVD was
more enjoyable. We laughed pretty hard at some of the behind the scenes
band drama. Getting paid to do the album, kicked off their label and then
selling the album back to the label was pretty good.
Seeing Jeff trying to be friendly to a bunch of fans back
stage while he was tired and didn't feel good was interesting, especially
when he didn't know what to say since they all kinda just stared at him.
The stuff between Jeff and Jay... priceless. Eric actually watched the movie
before me and told me a guy gets kicked out of the band, he wanted me
to guess which guy as I watched it. I think I guess correctly like 4 minutes
into the movie. Which is how long he would have lasted if it was my band.

But anyway, I think since their sound is sort of subdued, they sort of have
to grow on you.

Jason

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
09-20-2003 10:03 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

Hmmm...good thoughts, all Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If I have the opportunity to listen I will. Don't think I could bring myself to spend money on it at this time. But the big thing I listened for in the movie was lyrical content--and none of it inspired me at all.

Presently I'm on a huge "Stop making sense" binge. Got the remastered CD and then the remastered DVD. It's like a huge Byrne'n down the house party. We all know that all three dogs are fond of Talking Heads. It's worth going to the official TH's site. Tours with TT-club are happening. (tho' I'm no TTC fan).

Bring on some Wilco, friends and I'll see if I can be transformed into a fan! Big Grin
09-20-2003 11:17 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

No need to tell the DAMB to stop making sense...
09-20-2003 20:19 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Terry's musical influences

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH