Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Nazarene Crying Towel Review At AMG » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Nazarene Crying Towel Review At AMG
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Nazarene Crying Towel Review At AMG Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

They've posted a review of Nazarene Crying Towel at www.allmusic.com They only gave it 2/5 stars. Frown

It would be easy to assume that the title of the Lost Dogs' album Nazarene Crying Towel was plucked from one of the Old Testament books of lamenting, such as Jeremiah or Lamentations. Instead, it is a tribute to member Terry Scott Taylor's grandmother. Stemming from her swinging of a dishtowel during moments of spiritual distress, the title reflects his grandmother's yearning "for a final end to all our troubles, for rest and safety from every harm, for immunity from the wild unpredictable ways of a world seemingly intent upon breaking our hearts." Released in 2003, the title aptly fits the project's somewhat melancholy tone, which is expressed both musically and lyrically.Musically, the album could be considered country meets 1970s Christian music. In fact, on a few occasions, the project calls to mind singer/songwriter Larry Norman. Lyrically, the release features messages of comfort, forgiveness, and mercy. Songs include "Jesus on the Shore" and "The Yearning." — Ashleigh Kittle Slater

07-11-2003 20:06 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
They've posted a review of Nazarene Crying Towel at www.allmusic.com They only gave it 2/5 stars. Frown

It would be easy to assume that the title of the Lost Dogs' album Nazarene Crying Towel was plucked from one of the Old Testament books of lamenting, such as Jeremiah or Lamentations. Instead, it is a tribute to member Terry Scott Taylor's grandmother. Stemming from her swinging of a dishtowel during moments of spiritual distress, the title reflects his grandmother's yearning "for a final end to all our troubles, for rest and safety from every harm, for immunity from the wild unpredictable ways of a world seemingly intent upon breaking our hearts." Released in 2003, the title aptly fits the project's somewhat melancholy tone, which is expressed both musically and lyrically.Musically, the album could be considered country meets 1970s Christian music. In fact, on a few occasions, the project calls to mind singer/songwriter Larry Norman. Lyrically, the release features messages of comfort, forgiveness, and mercy. Songs include "Jesus on the Shore" and "The Yearning." — Ashleigh Kittle Slater

If it was your typical country group singing the same songs the same way It probably would have got 4 out of 5. Critics..Hypocritical.
07-11-2003 21:02 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Critics suck.

07-11-2003 21:06 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
Critics suck.

Unless We are the critics right? Big Grin
07-11-2003 21:09 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
JohnGotti
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 07-11-2003

Yo! what's a nazerene? nada sammy is dis one of them religious peoples things? nada what did you get me in dis time?
07-11-2003 21:11 JohnGotti is offline Send an Email to JohnGotti Search for Posts by JohnGotti Add JohnGotti to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Confused what is going on around here......

07-11-2003 21:19 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Mark Mark is a male

Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark

Most of their other discs are rated 4/5 stars. I don't recognize this reviewer. There was a lot more consistency in the past when Stephen Thomas Erlewine did most of the reviews. The site is just too big for him to keep up with by himself. Now there are almost too many reviewers.

07-11-2003 21:50 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I give the reviewer */5. Frown

07-11-2003 22:01 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I am afraid that reviewers only seem to give their opinion and some insite to the type of music. I use the All Music Site- but I cant tell you how oft I've got something- listened and enjoyed, only to find it panned by all music- or vice versa (case in point Captain Beefheart- I just simply DONT get it.-he sux pretty major- 2 me)

ON a local note
-
the review on our Tom Petty Concert last week never even MENTIONED that Mavis Staples opened for him- and I think the Staples are in the R and R hall of fame for crying out nazerene towel loud!

- I checked- inducted in 1999-

(ps- someone my son talked to thought Mavis was a man...Oh Well)

(pss- that person was THERE at the show........duh)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
07-11-2003 22:03 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

Thread Starter Thread Started by Mark

Captain Beefheart is always rated high, not just at All Music.

07-11-2003 22:05 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Uhh, this looks like a man???

07-11-2003 22:05 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

I can appreciate the review. On a five point scale, especially in reviewing and most market research it is based on what is refered to as a labeled scale. With five points the obvious neutral is a three, however, you'll find that for rating product be it widgets to albums the ratings tend to follow the tried and true Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor labels. This is done on purpose and is a positively biased scale.

So here we have a 2 star review, which on the surface looks like it bites, but in reality falls into the "fair" category.

Remember that the rating is applied to the whole album. And NCT isn't a grab you by the short and curlies kind of album. It's a slow burn, and I'll tell you, if I'd reviewed the thing after the first listen, I'd have given it a two star as fair, but nothing special.

It's unfair, but unless an album has captured lighning in a bottle, very few first listens are going to generate an incredible amount of heat.

J.

07-12-2003 00:33 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

I'm afraid most of us look at 2 stars as below average, no matter what reviewers say. Maybe its time to just talk about the merits and dtractions of the album, and not offer subjective comments like thumbs up or down, so many stars out of so many. At the very least they need to go to 10 stars or more to make it more obvious then if the only bad albums are "poor".

07-12-2003 08:49 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

In fact, on a few occasions, the project calls to mind singer/songwriter Larry Norman. — Ashleigh Kittle Slater

They always have to compare Terry to other people. I saw a review in Rolling Stone one time and they were talking about Terry and the band's career. And as they reviewed each album they would mention a name of another band that DA was "emulating" at the time. I tried to find the article again, but couldn't.

~Groucho~
07-12-2003 09:10 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

The pigeon hole is a blessing and a curse. I've gotten into tons of bands because of the comparison to other bands. Sometimes it's right on, other times it's only because the music evokes a similar emotional response.

You would be amazed at how many non Christians know anout Larry Norman. No offense but most of us here are in our 30's and early 40's it seems, and I know people in their early fifties and a little older who were chatting about the 60's and then we started chatting about music, invariably Larry's name would pop up. Still surprises the crap out of me.

So when AMG drops Larry's name, it's as a point of reference for people who wouldn't know DA from the Tuxedo Clad Megastar.

About stars, thumbs up etc, yeah it's subjective. Even the fat and skinny guy on at the movies seldom agree - but what we all tend to do is align to certain reviewers, sites etc, who have similar views.

I don't agree about 10 points. Here's what happens. You seldom get 10, rarely get 9, and the bottom three are hardly ever used - so most results fall between 4 - 8. Five points. So most research houses just cut the low hanging numbers and go with 5.

Guess who used to coordinate market research projects?

07-12-2003 13:48 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall

So when AMG drops Larry's name, it's as a point of reference for people who wouldn't know DA from the Tuxedo Clad Megastar.

Almost. But the article I read was saying things like "You can tell that Terry Taylor was listening to Devo during this time frame...". They were making it seem as if Terry was copying the sounds of other bands of the times. I see what you mean by the above quote, but that is not how the article that I read in Rolling Stone was saying it. Wish I could find that article!!

~Groucho~
07-12-2003 14:41 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

I hear what your saying, and I'm not a fan of that type of writing. There's an underlying arrogance in assuming that the writer can place his or her points of reference into the artist.

Musical influence is still fairly regional, not to the extent it used to be - but for the other Canucks on the board, I hear Terry borrowing from everyone from April Wine, to Rational Youth. Does that mean I can say Terry was listening to these guy?

Not likely ...

Although in the case of April Wine, Mike Stone worked with both, and in 1976 there a riff on one of the songs off The Whole World's Going Crazy album that one would almost think came from I Love You #19. But it's not bloodly likely.

Now, are you sure it was Rolling Stone, and not CCM or another rag? RS would be good coverage. I remember reading about 77s in RS in 1989 or so and one of their albums was only give 2 stars as well if I remember.

07-12-2003 15:00 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

I'm about 95% sure it was Rolling Stone. Of course I could be wrong. I have been looking for the article online, but have been unable to find it. It was an article about DA as a band, not on an album.

~Groucho~
07-12-2003 15:16 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
I don't agree about 10 points. Here's what happens. You seldom get 10, rarely get 9, and the bottom three are hardly ever used - so most results fall between 4 - 8. Five points. So most research houses just cut the low hanging numbers and go with 5.

Guess who used to coordinate market research projects?

Yes but the fact that you have the option makes more room the reviewer to slot them in. "Seldom", "rarely", and "hardly ever" are your words, and none of them mean "never". Its like gymnastic/skating competitions, everyone's gonna get 5.something, its subjective as to where it ends up. Ok, slightly bad comparison cause of the political end, but big business is involved in media/entertainment companies being one and the same now. That has to cloud some editors minds.

07-12-2003 16:03 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Stuart Pedasso
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Geez, okay here's the bottom line a two star review basically says the album doesn't suck but it's nothing special save your cash.

07-14-2003 13:00 Stuart Pedasso is offline Send an Email to Stuart Pedasso Search for Posts by Stuart Pedasso Add Stuart Pedasso to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Nazarene Crying Towel Review At AMG

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH