Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 9 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Passion Of The Christ
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Somebody pick up that dear, little thing and give it a hug.
03-15-2004 21:20 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jevon the Tall
Mark, that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. As I will spend this evening at a bible study, where the host denomination is very evangelical, and pretty much think Catholics, and their ilk are eeeeeeevil.

Except, when it comes to Lord of the Rings "Tolkien was a Christian you know? " and Mel "Mel is a Christian you know?" and music "Rich Mullins was a Christian you know?"

Sadly as a Christian (trying, failing, trying, failing, trying ... ) who likes the Anglican church they don't know what to do.

But in general what evolved into the Catholic church is viewed as evil and icky. Which is too bad. You can almost hear the thud of the baby hitting the ground as it gets thrown out with the bath water.

Perhaps Catholics are like CCM. They're only Catholic if you don't like 'em.

Mark? No way he's Catholic. Wink

03-15-2004 22:09 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

i still haven't seen it.... Frown

might on friday... Cool

Cool
03-15-2004 22:21 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

You all missed my point. Everyone was saying he was so cool for funding the movie with his own money. I'm just saying that he made more than that back. I'm also saying that if it's purpose is to get people saved and you have the money to do it then why not offer it for free.

Also, I don't think Christian music is anything more than a money making industry. If people get saved by it then fine but I don't think it should be marketed as a way to get people saved. Those the Tuxedo Clad Megastar type artists (hate to call them artists) who say they are all ministry are actually all full of crap.

Sediment is NOT ministry. It's art and I sell it for cost (a little over so I can give copies away to family). Many of the people on Sediment are not even Christians.

I don't think a Bible should be sold for more than cost. I think the people who sell it for more are jerks.

If you guys want to defend whoring Jesus than so be it but I won't take part.

03-15-2004 22:41 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
FaintScentsOfSewage
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-26-2002

There's not a theatre that would show it without taking in any money, unless maybe that were also to be subsidized by him. It's not like they could use it as a loss leader.

"Come for The Passion, stay for Starsky & Hutch!"

Of course, if you were to be talking about something like this I would wholeheartedly agree.

And don't get me started on my list of churches advertising "The Passion Studies" that i'll make sure I never attend.
03-15-2004 23:10 FaintScentsOfSewage is offline Send an Email to FaintScentsOfSewage Search for Posts by FaintScentsOfSewage Add FaintScentsOfSewage to your Buddy List
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

"whores for Jesus get a tax break"

03-15-2004 23:52 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Christian music sometimes is more like an anti-money making industry.
Some Christian musicians would actually make more money doing
something else but they stick with this for the message.

Rich Mullins as someone mentioned above, his really was a ministry
he took a vow of poverty after following St Francis. He would give
most of his tour money to Compassion. He also lived on an indian
reservation teaching music to children.

The industry of Christian music is there as a money making industry,
but a lot of artist are not in it for the money. If they were, they would be
crazy because some actually lose a lot doing this work.

And as someone who accepted Christ only after hearing some Christian
music in the 80's I think it is something more than just a commercial
entity. It does reach a certain part of the population, in some cases
some people need to hear the message in this format to 'get it.'

There are those that are in it for the money, but not all. It's
like preachers, there are good ones doing it for the right reasons
and there are the televangelists types in it for the money.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-15-2004 23:59 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
You all missed my point. Everyone was saying he was so cool for funding the movie with his own money. I'm just saying that he made more than that back. I'm also saying that if it's purpose is to get people saved and you have the money to do it then why not offer it for free.

Well, if YOU-all hadn't been whining so loudly over the TOP of yr point, we might've heard it clearer.... Tongue

Roll Eyes

Big Grin

quote:

<<<donning Ronald Reagan mask>>> THERE you go again.... Tongue Tongue Tongue

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-16-2004 06:40 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Dorf,

I look at the Mel/Passion thing differently. Mel spent $25 million of his own money, because no one in the movie industry wanted to be part of Mel's religious movie. Personally, I hope The Passion makes $1 billion worldwide. I say this for two reasons: 1. To send a message to the movie industry that there is a demand for clean, wholesome, and even religious movies. (OK, don't tell me it wasn't clean because Jesus was covered with blood.) 2. I would like to see Mel rewarded for having the guts to do this movie with his own money.

03-16-2004 07:50 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Amen
03-16-2004 09:29 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by carl
quote:

Well, if YOU-all hadn't been whining so loudly over the TOP of yr point, we might've heard it clearer.... Tongue

Roll Eyes

Big Grin

quote:

<<<donning Ronald Reagan mask>>> THERE you go again.... Tongue Tongue Tongue

Thank you carl. As usual your post calmes me down Cool The whoring of Jesus was a bit over the top but it seems some of you don't get my philosophy at all.

Perhaps I misunderstood the way this movie was being marketed. Maybe I thought the church hype was the same hype Mel was using. I did not see Mel pushing the movie so I don't know what spin he put on it. The way I understood it was that many people thought this movie would save the world. It was like charging admission to see the actual crucifixion of Christ. In that context, it would be sickening. By what my friends and family (not anyone here) was saying, it seemed that Mel Gibson had almost acheived sainthood by simply funding the movie himself. Then I see how much it made and I'm like Saint Mel my burro.

03-16-2004 10:44 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Thank you carl. As usual your post calmes me down Cool .

Yep. Just think of me as your personal human quaalude. Big Grin

quote:
The whoring of Jesus was a bit over the top but it seems some of you don't get my philosophy at all.

Yo Dorf-Dude, think about what board y'r on and the things we commisserate about as a result. How much wouldn't we get? Big Grin

quote:
Perhaps I misunderstood the way this movie was being marketed. Maybe I thought the church hype was the same hype Mel was using. I did not see Mel pushing the movie so I don't know what spin he put on it. The way I understood it was that many people thought this movie would save the world. It was like charging admission to see the actual crucifixion of Christ. In that context, it would be sickening. By what my friends and family (not anyone here) was saying, it seemed that Mel Gibson had almost acheived sainthood by simply funding the movie himself. Then I see how much it made and I'm like Saint Mel my burro.

That's fair. Although, as you say, I don't think it was so much a Mel thing as it was a counter-Mel thing that became a counter-counter-Mel thing by an well-intentioned but overenthusiastic evangelical crowd that.... you get the idea. Hype is like that. All press is good press, right? Roll Eyes

That "It was like charging admission to see the actual crucifixion of Christ," comment, though, strikes a pretty hard nerve. In a good way, but still.... we have to be careful....

03-16-2004 10:53 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
Christian music sometimes is more like an anti-money making industry.
Some Christian musicians would actually make more money doing
something else but they stick with this for the message.

Rich Mullins as someone mentioned above, his really was a ministry
he took a vow of poverty after following St Francis. He would give
most of his tour money to Compassion. He also lived on an indian
reservation teaching music to children.

The industry of Christian music is there as a money making industry,
but a lot of artist are not in it for the money. If they were, they would be
crazy because some actually lose a lot doing this work.

And as someone who accepted Christ only after hearing some Christian
music in the 80's I think it is something more than just a commercial
entity. It does reach a certain part of the population, in some cases
some people need to hear the message in this format to 'get it.'

There are those that are in it for the money, but not all. It's
like preachers, there are good ones doing it for the right reasons
and there are the televangelists types in it for the money.

Every new local punk band of Christian kids that I know says someday we'll be on MTV. They call singing songs about girls ministry just because they go to church.

the Tuxedo Clad Megastar calls his music ministry and charges $100.00 a ticket to see his show. Why not call it what it really is: entertainment for retards.

Now before you get all mad and say I missed your point I will address the Rich Mullins, DA, starving artist issue. Rich mullins did stick to music for the message. I won't deney that. He had a ministry (same as mr. cricket) and he got paid some for it. I don't think he ever claimed to be saving the world though. He knew God could work through his music and he simply left it up to God. I'm sure he knew that is was not his music that was saving people...obviously God was.

DA is a starving band. No doubt about it but I don't think they would call themselves a ministry. They are an artistic band and people see God in their music the same way people see God in our lives. My life can minister to people but I'm not going to go around saying that I'm a ministry. To call yourself or your band or your organization a ministry is pretty presumptuous isn't it??? That's when you allow spiritual pride to set in and start taking credit for God. As Christians, all of our art (our lives for that matter) will reflect God to people. Sometimes it may be hard for everyone to see but Christians will reflect God. On a side note, I've noticed that that happens more often when I am not aware that I am being watched. When I used to pray in church or do a worship song, ministry was happening but not near the extent as the stuff God did through me that I never even tried to do.

God is amazing in what he uses to bring us to him. Many secular "evil" bands have had words that hit me harder than any Christian band ever has. Take Kansas--Dust In The Wind. The band was not Christian at the time but every time I hear the song I am drawn to God as I am reminded of my frailty. Would you consider Metalica a ministry??? Certainly not, but God has used them to minister to me.

Instead of creating our own "ministry" and calling people "great ministers" we should take a step back and let the ministry of jesus reflect through our everyday lives.

03-16-2004 11:09 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

quote:

Instead of creating our own "ministry" and calling people "great ministers" we should take a step back and let the ministry of jesus reflect through our everyday lives.

In doing that we effectivley create a ministry....

here's the definition

min·is·try ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mn-str)
n. pl. min·is·tries

[I]The act of serving
; ministration.
One that serves as a means; an instrumentality. [/I]

So in reality if we are serving Christ we are all involved in ministry right.?

03-16-2004 11:19 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Grand Encephalon

quote:
Originally posted by Driver8
quote:

In doing that we effectivley create a ministry....

here's the definition

min·is·try ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mn-str)
n. pl. min·is·tries

[I]The act of serving
; ministration.
One that serves as a means; an instrumentality. [/I]

So in reality if we are serving Christ we are all involved in ministry right.?

Yes we are...just not the way many people think of it. Spiritual pride builds a wall around the true meaning of ministry.

03-16-2004 11:23 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Yo Dorf, for my own part, I agree with the majority of what you say, but I would just add not to get so hung-up on the M-word. When people use it to validate themselves, yeah, it's wrong. But most of the time -- in a land where the cameras aren't rolling (which is most places -- we're just led to believe otherwise), God uses the fact that we're willing to BE used, and.... well.... ministry happens, as they say. Big Grin It's only presumptuous when God had nothing to do with it. When He does, well, then, gimme another word for it if you need to but I'm OK with using that word at that point....

I guess we have varying perspectives on the proportion to which this kind of stuff goes on; otherwise you got me, and baby I got you.... Big Grin

03-16-2004 11:24 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Grand Encephalon

fair enough Smile

03-16-2004 11:31 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

As far as making money from ministry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1 Corinthinas 9: 7-14

7Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk? 8Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing? 9For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain."[2] Is it about oxen that God is concerned? 10Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. 11If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? 12If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more?
13But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Now I'm not condoning Carman's charging to get on his website or Robert Tiltons money grabbing hands....I'm just saying if a preachers pulling in $60,000 a year and paying his taxes and tithes....that's ok by me and God. Now if he's pulling in millions a year then he'll have to answer to someone much bigger than me. Wink

Oh and by the way dorf.......I'm not mad at you bro.

Like carl said "you got me, and baby I got you.... " Big Grin

03-16-2004 11:31 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Grand Encephalon

I agree with what you're saying driver. I don't have a problem with making a living feeding people or being a pastor. I don't have a problem with being rich for the most part. My big problem is with the merchandising of Jesus and using his name to make money. What does Jesus have in common with Disney??? Put their names on a crappy piece of marchandise and you can sell it for a hundred times what it's worth Roll Eyes

03-16-2004 11:36 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
I agree with what you're saying driver. I don't have a problem with making a living feeding people or being a pastor. I don't have a problem with being rich for the most part. My big problem is with the merchandising of Jesus and using his name to make money. What does Jesus have in common with Disney??? Put their names on a crappy piece of marchandise and you can sell it for a hundred times what it's worth Roll Eyes

I see your point Smile )

But also see that this is the age we live in, no amount of distaste for the commercialization of it all will change that. After saying that also know that as you say God has ministered to you through Metallica maybe we shouldn't be too quick to judge Christian commercialization, cause He could very well use it as well. Wink just a thought Pleased

03-16-2004 11:40 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
Pages (14): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] 8 9 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » The Passion Of The Christ

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH